0 4 ) is the first full-length by [ B O L T ] as a trio. In comparison to their earlier output the sound is more propulsive and structured. Emerging out of oppressive silence and ending up in ecstatic noise and drone. To listen to the bands latest release 0-4 just click here…
We sat down with [ B O L T ] who create waving sounds and crushing riffs and asked them a few quickfire questions about the year and plans for next year…
How did the band form?
– [ B O L T ] was founded by Andreas and Thomas as a bass-only drone/doom band in early 2011. First shows were played in 2012. Three albums and several spilts and collaborations got released. In 2016 Maik joined [ B O L T ] on drums and the sound developed to black drone metal. The first album as a trio was released in late 2017.
What’s been the highlight of the band’s career so far?
– We played dunk!2013, Doom Over Leipzig 2017 and shared stages with Bohren & Der Club Of Gore, Torche and other great bands.
What festival would you love to headline in the future?
– Roadburn usually offers a very interesting and unique line-up. We’d totally give it a shot.
Which bands are you digging at the moment?
– Too many to mention all of them, but: Yellow Eyes, Rorcal, Throwing Snow, Winterfylleth and so on. 2017 offered some quite interesting new records like Steve Moore’s “The Mind’s Eye“ (soundtrack), Tigers Jaw’s “Spin“ and “Pornography“ by Damnation A.D.
What’s the plan for the rest of the year and 2018?
– We will tour in early 2018, play some festivals and maybe start to write songs for a new album. And our ongoing collaboration with ambient/drone artist N will release some new records, maybe accompanied by some shows.
How’s 2017 treated you as a band and what’s been the highlight?
– We put all our time into writing, recording and releasing the new album. Next to that we started to work on a new collaboration project and played some shows. All in all 2017 was a good year for [ B O L T ].
Do you have any weird rituals before going on stage?
– No. Some of us tend or try to warm up before a show, since we all are stiff and cold blooded old men, but this usually gets undermined by plenty of beer, wine, lemonade, snacks and nice chats or all of the above.
What’s been your biggest inspiration as an individual and as a band?
– Even if we all listen to drone, black metal, doom and other dark genres, most inspiration for our own sounds come from other genres.
What’s your favourite venue to play and why ?
– Christus Kirche in Bochum (Germany) is always great since the sound is amazing.
What album is the one album you listen to at least once a week?
– Thomas: Next to more recent releases like “Open“ by Grandbrothers and “The Black Meat“ by Kristofer Lo the discography of Petrels and Daughters’ LP “Hell Songs“ should be mentioned here.
Andreas: I’m currently listening to a variety of different bands and genres. For example Yodok, as duo and with Dirk Serries, Ben Frost and N, but also stuff like The Jesus Lizard and Shellac. I also quite like the new Björk.